In addition to our general dentistry, our cosmetic solutions, and our sleep apnea treatments, our Colorado Springs dental office offers a variety of other dental services. If you have a condition or a question regarding treatment that isn’t listed here, feel free to give us a call or send us an email at email@example.com. You can count on us to respond promptly. We’re always happy to help!
Neonatal Dentistry and Baby Counseling
In rare cases, children are born with teeth (natal teeth) or develop them within a month after birth (neonatal teeth). Though temporary and typically harmless, it’s important to have a dental specialist take a look at them to make sure there is no chance of them causing the child any discomfort or pain. If not treated, they may lead to refusal to feed, mutilation of the tongue due to the teeth’s sharp edges, dehydration, and ultimately cause growth and development problems.
Give us a call today at (719) 593–8488 and allow us to help care for your baby’s teeth.
Dental / Teeth Emergencies in Northeast & East Colorado Springs
Dental emergencies can be traumatic and victims typically want or need care right away. Some common dental emergencies are:
- A knocked-out permanent/adult tooth
- A cracked tooth
- A severe bite to the tongue or lip
- A toothache
- An object stuck in the mouth
If one of these dental emergencies has happened to you, here are some tips to help ease your discomfort until you can get to a doctor:
- For a knocked-out tooth, keep the tooth moist at all times, either by keeping it in your mouth or soaking it in milk.
- For a cracked tooth, rinse with warm water to cleanse the area, and then apply a cold compress as necessary to help minimize the swelling.
- For a bitten tongue or lip, keep the area clean and use a cold compress as necessary to help minimize swelling.
- For toothaches, rinse your mouth with warm water and floss near the ache to clean out any caught food.
- For any object stuck in your mouth, use floss to attempt to gently remove it.
Never try to remove something or clean out your mouth a sharp or pointed object.
Regardless of your dental emergency, it is important to visit the hospital or dentist as soon as possible, to help prevent any further complications or injuries.
If you experience a dental accident such as a toothache, broken teeth and/or a mouth injury, call our office right away at (719) 593–8488.
Oral Surgery in Colorado Springs
At Austin Bluffs Dental, we offer the removal of small tissue growths in the mouth and other minor procedures. It is best to consult with a doctor to explore all of your options and determine the treatment plan that best fits your financial, physical and emotional needs.
Some examples of minor oral surgery are:
- Tooth Extraction and Wisdom Teeth Removal
- Loose Tooth Removal
- Cosmetic (Periodontal) Gum Re-shaping
- Soft Tissue Biopsies, to rule out oral cancer
- Removal of a Broken Root
- Removal of a Badly Chipped Tooth
If you have a question about your specific condition, give us a call at (719) 593–8488 and schedule a consultation.
TMJ Therapy in Northeast Colorado Springs
Some people suffer from TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) without even being aware of it. Clicking and popping in the jaw is not normal, and is likely a sign that you are suffering from TMD and may respond well to TMJ Therapy. Possible causes of TMD are:
- Injury or Trauma
- Teeth Grinding
- Jaw Clenching
At Austin Bluffs, we offer consultation and options for treatment. Often times, especially for more minor cases, at home self-care treatments may eliminate the TMD symptoms. Some self-care treatment options are:
- Eating soft foods
- Alternate the application of hot and cold compresses
- Avoid extreme jaw movements, such as wide yawning, chewing gum, biting your nails, and yelling or singing loudly
- Meditation and other relaxation techniques
If symptoms persist, we are capable of delivering a wide variety of treatment options. We will work with you to determine the best for your treatment needs. Some common prescribed treatment methods are:
- Medication such as muscle relaxant, anti-anxiety or anti-inflammatory
- A mouth appliance such as a night guard or bite plate to minimize the effects of clenching and grinding your teeth
There are many options available and the staff at Austin Bluffs Dental is happy to work with you to determine the best course of action. If you have a question about your specific condition, give us a call at (719) 593–8488 and schedule a consultation.
In a healthy bite, the bite force is evenly distributed among each tooth. If disproportionate pressure is placed on one specific tooth or set of teeth, this may lead to loosening of those teeth, and ultimately bone loss. TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) can cause the need for occlusal therapy.
Occlusal therapy works to adjust a patient’s bite over time. Ultimately, the therapy works to create an even distribution of those bite forces among each tooth, so that those loosened bones and ligaments can properly heal. Though nobody has a perfect bite, if yours is causing undue wear and tear on your teeth or hurting your jaw, you may be a good candidate for occlusal therapy. Occlusal therapy may consist of two options:
- An occlusal night guard that will help control the pressure distribution throughout your mouth while you sleep
- Splinting, which is the tying together of adjacent teeth, for more severe cases where bone loss and loosening has already taken place
Call our office today at (719) 593–8488 to arrange a consultation.